Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Holidays - Part One

You know several years ago my family stopped celebrating Halloween. I really felt good about this decision and suprisingly so did my 2 older children. I thought they would have trouble with it. They understood our explanation as to why people celebrate it, whats its origin and meaning and what has it become. How does Halloween improve our lives and bring us closer to God? (Being closer to God is the goal) That is the question I've tried to teach my children to ask themselves about everything that they do.

At first we would go to Church on Halloween. You know most churches of most denominations celebrate Halloween in some way. Surprising but true. A very wise man said the other day, that churches lower than standards to make church more popular to the masses. When the goal should be to raise their standards for the Lord. Well we no longer go to church and celebrate Halloween. We don't work to make it a special day for the kids so they don't feel like they are missing it either. We were making it a special family night with board games and or movies. What I want to say here is yes we love family nights that work out with board games or movies. But, we don't single that night out to be close as a family because we should be close all the time. If we try to make it special that night of all nights then we are celebrating Halloween.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

I couldn't agree more! I was telling our kids that I don't agree with the alternative celebrations that churches and Christians throw. We as Christians need to realize that there are times we need to separate ourselves from things that God says are wrong. This may mean missing out on what looks like fun. To me these altenative celebrations are just tweaking Halloween so our children don't feel left out. It's STILL a Halloween celebration, just one with a Christian slant. And if you look at the history - the costumes, the jack o'lanterns, the trick or treating - it's still rooted in paganism. We are having to skip AWANA this Wed. b/c they are dressing up. I have no problem with dress up but WHY does it have to be at Halloween like everyone else? Let's stand up and set ourselves apart. I say, "AMEN!" to all you said.