Monday, March 16, 2009

School Year - Mid March

We are deep in the midst of the school year. Rose is in Kindergarten and Grace is a fourth grader. I can't even express my shock that my baby boy is headed into High School in the fall. The homeschool group now has a co-op and we have Science class and Gardening / Hydroponics and Sign Language and Manners/Etiquette. Next we will start Public Speaking. The young girls go to a group that is part playgroup and part lessons. One week they made a volcano. Another week they worked on a 3 week lesson on the 1800's set to an American Girls doll "Felicity". They study that area of the country and make foods from that time and do projects. They also had a chance to watch the movie. So far its been lots of fun. But sometimes they just want to play. :-) which is also what they are there for.

I taught the Manners and Etiquette to a bunch of boys last week. (Ages 7 - 13) They had a fun time. I was nervous they'd be bored. But I used "Manners with the Millers" series and we covered phone etiquette. We pretended to answer the phone and all the mistakes we could and do make and we talked of the dangers of saying too much to a stranger and also of being polite when people call. We laughed and had a good time with it. Next week I have to teach on introducing people.

D.C. is in 8th and we are getting him ready for High School Math. Pre-Algebra, Lots of World History. We are also starting A+ Certification Training. That is your certification as a computer Technician. It is a great foundation and 1st step to getting into the computer field.

No comments: